Lewis County Jail
Visitiation Rules and Regulations
- Contact visits are allowed in this facility two (2) times per week, Tuesday and Saturday. There are three (3) sessions each day. The sessions run 12:00 to 1:00, 1:30 to 2:30 and 3:00 to 4:00.
- Your visitors must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled visit. Visitors that show up less than 15 minutes early will be turned away no exceptions. Visitors must dress appropriately. The following Items are not allowed to be worn for visitation by visitors: tank tops, sleeveless shirts, V-necks or below the collar bone shirts, mesh, see through or translucent clothing, hooded sweat shirts, shorts more than 3” inches above the knee, sunglasses, ANY Jewelry exception wedding band. Jackets or heavy clothing are also not to be worn by visitors. Hair bands or any other clothing will be searched by lobby officers for contraband. Searches May go as far as pat search of incoming visitors. Anyone not in Compliant with these rules will not be allowed entrance to visitation. Visitors must pass successfully through the metal detector to attend visitation.
- You will be allowed two one-hour sessions per week. You should schedule these sessions in advance but walk in visitors will be accommodated if space permits. Walk-ins will be accommodated on a first come first serve bases. Scheduled visits will have priority over walk-ins.
- You will not be allowed to schedule two sessions for the same day.
- You will only be allowed to have two visitors per visitation. Infants and small children (4 years and under) who are carried and do not occupy a seat do not count as a visitor. Visitors under 18 yrs old MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian must accompany the minor into the visitation room. Inmates will not be recognized as a person to authorize this visit.
- Children will not be allowed to run, scream or unreasonably disturb the other visitors. If children are disruptive to other visitors, they and their parent will be asked to leave visitation early.
- An initial embrace and kiss is allowed only over the center partition. A departing embrace and kiss is also allowed, again, over the center partition. The allowed kiss must be a brief, closed mouth kiss. Leaning over the center partition is not allowed.
- Any visitor who attempts to bring contraband in or out of the visitation room will be subject to criminal charges. Absolutely nothing will be passed between the visitor and the inmate. Anyone caught passing anything to an inmate will have their visit terminated and if the item is determined to be contraband, both the inmate and the visitor will be subject to arrest. The inmate will lose contact visits with all visitors .
- When the visit is over, the visitors will leave the room first. The inmate will remain seated until told to leave the room.
- Visitation may be canceled at any time due to an emergency in the facility.
- Inmates guilty of promoting prison contraband either by NYS LAW and/or The Inmate Rule Book will not be allow to attend visitation after their release.
- Inmates on Probation and/or Parole must produce a letter from the supervising officer that they may attend visitation.
- Visits may be restricted based on suspicion of contraband. All Inmate(s) and visitors effected by loss of or restricted visit will be notified in writing by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Bail may be posted at this Facility at any time. Bail must be paid in cash, money order, certified bank check (made out to Lewis County Sheriff’s Office) or credit/debit card through GovPay. No Personal Checks will be accepted. No remote bails will be accepted. GovPay may be reached at 888-604-7888.
- Bail may also be posted through the services of a Bondsman of your choice. Bail Bondsmen are to be contacted by your family, friends or attorney. Officers may provide you a list of bondsman. This list is not all inclusive.
- When you are sending mail, you must put the following on the upper left corner of the envelope:
Lewis County Jail
PO Box 233
Lowville, NY 13367
The delivery address must be in the front center of the envelope.
- Incoming general mail will be opened, logged and inspected for the presence of contraband. Any contraband will be confiscated, investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the laws of the State of New York.
- Mail without a return name will be sent back “return to sender”. Mail without a return address will be put into your personal property after it is checked for money for your commissary account.
- Incoming and outgoing mail is processed each business day.
- Legal mail will be opened and inspected by Correctional Staff in your presence.
- You are not allowed to correspond with other inmates incarcerated in ANY Facility without permission from the Jail Warden.
- You will NOT change your legal address through the United States Postal to PO Box 233, Lowville, NY 1336
- Mail will only be collected on the 2300 security check. It will be logged, stamped “INMATE MAIL” and placed in outgoing mail for the following day.
- Incoming packages will be inspected for contraband. Any items not allowed in our Facility will be placed in your personal property. You will receive a property receipt stating the items in the package. All Clothing and Reading material must be sent to the facility from a retailer or distributer.
- Any contraband will be confiscated, investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the laws of the State of New York.
- Outgoing packages will be paid for from your commissary account.
- Allowable items iclude the following:
- Paperback books, magazines, puzzle books, newspapers, religious medallion or cross not to exceed 1 ½ inches on a small chain and any clothing listed prior to this section. Religious articles such as beads, Kufi, Yamaka, Kippa, Crowns, Prayers rugs etc. are also permitted providing they don’t pose a threat to the safety security of the facility.
- The Lewis County Jail maintains a commissary where you may buy certain items, such as snack foods, stamps, stationary, etc.
- Friends and Family may order using www.lewiscountynypackages.com or by calling 1-800-546-6283.
- Any money on your person when you arrive and any money brought or sent in for you, will be deposited in a commissary account in your name. Money sent or brought in must be in the form of cash or a money order. Personal checks are not accepted.
Permissible Items list
- Religious medallion or cross no longer than 1 ½ inches on a small chain, value not to exceed $50. (This includes a rosary)
- Wedding band with no stones if you are legally married.
- Legal documents.
- T-shirts (white or light gray, without writing or logos) - 4 ea.
- Briefs (any color) - 4 ea.
- Sweatpants (white or light gray, without writing or logos) - 2 ea.
- Sweatshirts (white or light gray, without writing or logos) - 2 ea.
- Socks (any color) - 4 pr.
- Long underwear (white or light gray, without logos) - 2 pr. (In place of sweats)
- Female Inmates may receive brassieres- max 4
- Reading material (maximum of 5 paperback books, magazines, pamphlets, religious books, or any combination thereof).
- Items bought through commissary.
Maybe modified if cell is not kept neat and organized
Tim Thayer II, Lieutenant
Lewis County Jail
Lewis County Sheriffs Office
5252 Outer Stowe St
Lowville, New York 13367
Phone: (315) 376-3511
Fax: (315) 376- 5647