Clean Energy Communities: This NYSERDA initiative supports local government leaders across the State to implement energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainable development projects in their communities. In 2017, Lewis County became the first community in the North Country region to earn Clean Energy Community designation.
To earn the Clean Energy Community designation, Lewis County completed the following high-impact clean energy actions:
- Deployed an alternative fuel vehicle and an electric vehicle charging station to encourage clean transportation options.
- Approved an energy benchmarking policy to track and report energy use in the County’s municipal buildings.
- Adopted the New York State Unified Solar Permit to streamline the approvals process for local solar projects.
- Completed energy code enforcement training on best practices in energy code enforcement for code compliance officers and other municipal officials.
Climate Smart Communities: Lewis County passed the Climate Smart Communities (CSC) pledge as a municipal resolution on December 2, 2020 to join the program and become a Registered Climate Smart Community. The CSC program supports local governments in New York State in leading their communities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, adapt to the effects of climate change, and thrive in a green economy. There are more than 100 eligible actions that can earn points towards CSC certification. These actions are organized under the 10 CSC Pledge elements:
- Build a climate-smart community
- Inventory emissions, set goals, and plan for climate action
- Decrease energy use
- Shift to clean, renewable energy
- Use climate-smart materials management
- Implement climate-smart land use
- Enhance community resilience to climate change
- Support a green innovation economy
- Inform and inspire the public
- Engage in an evolving process of climate action
Climate Smart Communities Task Force: The CSC Task Force promotes and supports climate action, mitigation, and adaptation across Lewis County government and in the community. Task Force members include community volunteers, nonprofit organizations, municipal officials, and staff from various County departments.
Climate Smart Task Force Members:
- Lauryn Tabolt, Lewis County Planning Department (Climate Smart Communities Coordinator)
- Tim Hunt, Lewis County Highway Department
- Sierra Kempney, Lewis County Public Health
- Jenna Kraeger, Naturally Lewis
- Alaina Mallette, Tug Hill Commission
- Matt O'Connor, Buildings and Grounds Supervisor
- Carlie Leary, Adirondack North Country Association
- Nichelle Swisher, Lewis County Water & Conservation District
- Kim Vogt, Village of Copenhagen
Lewis County Partners with NY Power Authority for Cost Saving and Emission Reductions
Lewis County is taking stock of its greenhouse gas emissions to become Climate Smart Community
Community Choice Aggregation
CCA Kickoff Meeting Recording- 10/28/2021
Lewis County Local Law Template
Lewis County CCA Administrator Agreement Template
Lewis County Joule Program Offerings
NYSERDA No Cost Residential Energy Audit Program
Climate Smart Communities A Guide for Local Officials
- Municipal Solar Regulations Template
- NYS Homeowner's Guide to Solar- Leases, Loans, and Power Purchase Agreements
- Climate Smart Communities Program
- Climate Change Summary in NYS
- Composting for Beginners
- A Homeowner's Guide to Composting
- EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT HOME COMPOSTING
- Energy Audit Program - Agriculture
- Energy Audit Program-Residential
- Energy-Efficient Home Tips
- Food Waste Mitigation
- Lewis County Public Transportation
- North Country Recycles
Energy Benchmarking Report 2019-2020.pdf
Lewis County Municipal Operations Greenhouse Gas Inventory.pdf
Starting a Green Conversation
The most effective sustainability strategies involve making simple adaptations in your daily life. Consider the main ways you consume resources, whether that be your grocery bill, energy bill, or gas mileage. By simplifying how you use resources, you can make an impact. When a whole community supports sustainability, great things can happen.
What sustainability efforts are you doing? Let Lauryn Tabolt (firstname.lastname@example.org) know for a chance to be featured on our website or Facebook page for your efforts!
Lauryn Tabolt, Community Development Specialist