Deputy County Clerk
Job Title: Deputy County Clerk
Salary range: $43,509 - $55,713/year
Department: County Clerk
Employment Type: Full-time
DEPUTY COUNTY CLERK
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves responsibility for performing administrative and supervisory duties related to the provision of required services and activities in the County Clerk’s office. The Deputy is appointed and serves at the pleasure of the County Clerk and is therefore authorized to act generally for and in place of the County Clerk. This position oversees the delivery of services and proper processing of official documents and papers, due to the nature of the documents and papers that must be recorded, the accuracy of the work and attention to detail are of major significance and utmost importance. The Deputy is also responsible for administering day-to-day operations of the County Clerk’s office. Administrative direction is received from the County Clerk with wide leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in planning and executing assignments. Supervision is exercised over all subordinate department staff. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Interprets and implements policies as directed by the County Clerk;
- Directs staff in assisting the public in locating files and answering questions;
- Oversees the operation of the recording office;
- Reviews recorded and filed instruments of property and business records;
- Reviews civil court records for legal specifications;
- Reviews recorded land records for correct tax collections;
- Assists the public in searches of land records;
- Reviews passports, pistol permits, and motor vehicle sales tax documents;
- Administers oaths and naturalization procedures;
- Receives and deposits monies collected by the Clerk’s office;
- Prepares monthly reports transmitting fees and taxes to appropriate agencies;
- Performs all other duties and functions of the Clerk’s office as requested by or in the absence of the County Clerk.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of the services provided by the County Clerk’s office; good knowledge of the policies and procedures applicable to the efficient functioning of the County Clerk’s office; good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; good knowledge of business arithmetic and English; working knowledge of Civil Practice Law and Rules; working knowledge of account keeping practices; ability to establish and maintain good interpersonal working relationships; ability to deal with the public in a helpful manner; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to perform close, detail work involving considerable visual effort and strain; ability to operate a computer terminal; good judgment.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a bachelor’s degree; or
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college with an associate’s degree and two years experience handling or processing legal documents including court and land records; or
C) Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and four years of experience handling or processing legal documents including court and land records; or
D) An equivalent combination of training and experience as indicated by the limits (A), (B) and (C) above.
Incumbent must be a resident of Lewis County, or receipt of exemption from the County Clerk from said requirement if resident of a contiguous county.Download Application Download Job Posting