Secretary to the Assistant County Attorney
Job Title: Secretary to the Assistant County Attorney
Salary range: 37,177/yr - $41,970/yr
Department: County Attorney
Employment Type: Full-time
SECRETARY TO THE ASSISTANT
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is secretarial work involving responsibility for assisting in the daily activities of the Assistant County Attorney with wide leeway allowed for independent judgment. Supervision over the work of others is not normally required in this position. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Prepares correspondence between the Assistant County Attorney, other attorneys, the Court, and clients;
- Prepares initial petitions subject to approval of the Assistant County Attorney;
- Prepares subpoenas and arranges for service of subpoenas by the Sheriff’s Department;
- May prepare affidavits and orders, as well as contacting the New York State Office of Court Administration;
- Utilizes typing skills to produce complicated, legal documents;
- Independently prepares routine correspondence;
- Takes incoming phone calls and reviews mail for the Assistant County Attorney;
- Prepares affidavits, final orders, and decrees under direction of Assistant County Attorney;
- Maintains a set of routine financial accounts, payroll records, requisitions and checks receipt of supplies and equipment;
- Resolves client emergencies without giving legal advice;
- Evaluates information to determine what will be contained in the petition and what relief will be requested in the order;
- Arranges purchase of office equipment and supplies;
- Acts as contact person for out-of-state support enforcement agencies and clients, and is responsible for correlating and relaying information between support units, attorneys, clients and the court;
- Coordinates and schedules meetings/appointments for attorneys;
- Completes and submits forms to the court, required by the Domestic Violence Act;
- Writes to law enforcement agencies to obtain depositions or other information to be added to petitions;
- Arranges for interpreters for non-English speaking or hearing-impaired clients;
- Handles complaints from clients and their representatives.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of office terminology, practices, and procedures; good knowledge of investigating, interviewing, case recording, and report preparation techniques; good knowledge of community resources and programs; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to deal effectively with the general public and other departments or agencies; ability to perform prolonged fine finger movement on a keyboard at a predetermined rate of speed and accuracy; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to organize and maintain records and files; ability to transcribe dictation from a transcribing machine; ability to use microcomputer software; ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situation, establishing priorities, an making decisions; ability to deal effectively with others.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or business school with an associate degree in secretarial science, secretarial administration, legal secretary, legal office administration or related fields, and two years of office administrative or secretarial experience; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four years of office administrative or secretarial experience, legal clerical experience preferred but not required; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
Download Application Download Job Posting