Job Title: LAN Administrator
Salary range: $27.02/hr.
Department: Information Technology
Employment Type: Full-time
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves responsibility for administering the operation of a wide and/or local area network computer system and providing technical systems support in the development, implementation, maintenance and enhancement of network computer systems, equipment, and software. Employee performs network system functions which involve adding users; defining, establishing and enforcing security access to data; identifying device and access paths and availability; configuring network hardware; and customizing applications to ensure proper functioning in a network environment. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Monitors and maintains local area network (LAN) performance, resources, security, and data integrity to include the upgrade and installation of software as required;
- Plans, develops, and implements procedures for the installation and maintenance of PCs, network software, printers, and other LAN related equipment;
- Troubleshoots hardware and software malfunctions;
- Supports and trains agency LAN users in operations of a variety of software packages;
- Installs and configures client workstations and installs upgrades for software packages and loads operating systems and other vendor software systems;
- Integrates new equipment and software into the current hardware/software systems and manual/paper systems in use;
- Administers security for the local area network.
- Creates and administers the local area network file system and controls user access to files;
- Maintains the database and documentation of all local area network equipment and software;
- Collects information from the department requesting computer support to determine actual problem, researches the problem, provides solution for the problem;
- Provides hot-line phone support for various department employees contacting the computer office requesting assistance;
- Maintains an inventory of and accounts for, spare parts and machines;
- All other duties as assigned.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of the principles and practices of local area network (LAN) administration; thorough knowledge or network hardware and software packages; good knowledge of computer capacities, programming principles, techniques and concepts; good knowledge of the operation and utilization of a wide variety of computer software packages; ability to analyze, diagnose and correct network issues, ability to communicate clearly, orally and in writing, with network users, technical personnel and vendors, ability to perform close detail work; ability to train others in the operation of hardware and computer software packages; ability to follow complex written and oral directions; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science or a closely related field and one (1) year of work experience in network related support activities; or
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in computer science or a closely related field and three (3) years of work experience in network related support activities, computer system analysis, or computer maintenance or repair; or
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalence diploma and five (5) years of experience involving network related support, computer system analysis, or computer maintenance or repair; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).