Custodial Worker - Substitute
Job Title: Custodial Worker - Substitute
Salary range: $17.71 hr.
Department: Buildings & Grounds Maintenance
Employment Type: Substitute
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs routine building cleaning work; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is routine and repetitive manual work calling for the efficient and economical performance of building cleaning and occasional minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning tasks are performed under general supervision according to a well-established procedure and minor maintenance tasks are performed under direct supervision or according to specific instructions. This class differs from Cleaner primarily in that incumbents of this position may be required to lift and move heavy weights and equipment and work from heights on ladders. Supervision over the work of others is not a responsibility of employees in this class.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Sweeps and mops floors and stairs;
- Uses heavy mechanical equipment in stripping, waxing and polishing floors;
- Dusts desks, woodwork, furniture and other equipment;
- Washes windows, walls, blackboards, sinks and other fixtures;
- Empties wastebaskets and collects and disposes of trash and garbage;
- Polishes furniture and metal furnishings;
- Arranges and moves chairs, tables and desks and other equipment for special use in the building;
- Repairs window shades, replaces light bulbs, soap and towels;
- May sand and repair desks, tables and chairs;
- May assists in making minor plumbing, carpentry and electrical repairs;
- May assist in the operation and maintenance of an oil or gas fired low pressure heating system;
- May mow lawns, trim shrubs, rake leaves and perform a variety of other grounds-keeping tasks as assigned;
- May clear snow and ice from walks;
- May load and unload trucks;
- Delivers packages and messages;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Working knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies and equipment; ability to follow simple oral and written instructions; willingness to perform routine cleaning and other manual tasks; ability to repeatedly lift 50 pounds or more; ability to get along well with others; thoroughness; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: None is required, but some experience in building cleaning work is desirable.
Download Job Posting