Public Health Nurse (RN) Casual
Job Title: Public Health Nurse (RN) Casual
Salary range: $28.64/hr - $33.24/hr
Location: Public Health
Employment Type: Casual (Per Diem)
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs public health nursing activities with individuals and families in accordance with the planned program of the agency; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Under supervision performs public health nursing activities involving responsibility for assessment of health needs and developing the plan of care for individuals and families. The work is distinguished by the responsibility of the incumbent for initial implementation of nursing care plans and providing nursing care. Supervises staff assigned to carry out the plans of care. The incumbent is also responsible for periodic re-evaluation of individual and family nursing needs.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Gives skilled nursing care and prescribed treatments to patients in their homes and clinics and demonstrates nursing care to patients and families;
- May lead a team of peers and subordinates providing nursing care and evaluates the effectiveness of team activities;
- May perform duties such as pediatric nurse or family nurse practitioner;
- May provide for the continuity of patient care by promoting referral of hospital and clinic patients to appropriate community agencies;
- Coordinates plans for service with nutritionists, social workers, physical therapists, physicians and other professional workers concerned with individual and family health care;
- Counsels and guides individuals and families toward self-help in recognition and solution of physical, emotional and environmental health problems;
- Provides nursing services in clinics and schools;
- Teaches classes, addresses groups, and participates in community planning related to nursing and health;
- Participates in the conduct of surveys and studies related to health matters;
- Compiles and uses records, reports and statistical information for evaluation and planning of the assigned programs.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Thorough knowledge of current public health nursing practices; working knowledge of the administrative organization of community facilities; skill in the application of current nursing procedures and techniques of patient care; ability to plan and coordinate nursing care for individuals, families and groups and supervise nursing personnel assigned to assist with this care; ability to communicate effectively; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships; ability to accept and utilize guidance; ability to perform duties in accordance with ANA Code for Professional Nurse; acceptable physical and mental health to carry out the responsibilities of the position.
Licensure and current registration as a Registered Professional Nurse in New York State.