Public Health Specialist
Job Title: Public Health Specialist
Salary range: $23.75/hr to $28.57/hr.
Department: Public Health
Employment Type: Full Time
PUBLIC HEALTH SPECIALIST
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position is responsible for designing, conducting, and evaluating activities that improve health in targeted populations, promoting healthy lifestyles and reducing the financial burden of health care for the county’s population. These activities can take place in a variety of settings including schools, communities, health care facilities, businesses and governmental agencies. The incumbent is responsible for assessing community needs, assets and capacity, and administering strategies, interventions and programs. The incumbent also acts as a community resource person and advocates for health prevention and promotion. The work is performed under the general direction of the Public Health Director with a high level of autonomy and use of independent judgment in carrying out the duties.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Identifies, develops and/or implements programs and strategies for promotion of health and healthy lifestyles as related to the Community Health Improvement Plan;
- Organize, facilitate, manage and evaluate community work groups focused on identified health improvement goals;
- Lead, supervise and direct the development of new work groups designed to respond to specific population based health risks;
- Assists the community to design program services and develops strategies to address health disparities in the county;
- Utilizes technology and media in the promotion of public health and health lifestyles;
- Assists with, promotes and supports various plans including the Community Health Assessment, Community Health Improvement Plan, State Aid-Article Six, and other agency work plans;
- Represents the Public Health Department and the county on specific boards, coalitions and planning groups, as assigned;
- Assesses and evaluates community readiness for healthy lifestyle changes by various groups;
- Develops, implements and reports on community needs assessment and improvement plan efforts in conjunction with other departments and community agencies;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the principles, practices and terminology of public health and chronic disease epidemiology;
- Good knowledge of disease prevention and health promotion programs;
- Good knowledge of the complexity of New York State laws and regulations;
- Good knowledge of the appropriate use of technology in health prevention and promotion and the ability to adapt to the changes in technology;
- Working knowledge of assessing individual and community health needs;
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate health education strategies, interventions and programs;
- Ability to independently manage projects while providing supervisory oversight to diverse groups of community members;
- Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of all prevention and promotion programs and outreach efforts;
- Ability to act as the agency’s liaison with individuals, agencies, community members, and government representatives;
- Ability to organize, motivate and facilitate diverse groups;
- Ability to collect and analyze reliable data;
- Ability to clearly communicate orally and in writing;
- Good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, integrity, and tact.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Either:
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a master’s degree or higher in Public Health, Health Education, Nursing, Human Services, Human Ecology, Education, or related field; or
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public health, health education, nursing, human services, human ecology, education, or related field and one year of experience working in public health education or human services program that includes a community outreach component; or
C) An equivalent combination of experience and training as outlined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
This is a civil service tested position. For exam details please go to: www.lewiscounty.org/departments/human-resources/civil-service-exam-information
Candidates must file a civil service exam application w/college transcripts by February 1, 2019.
Download Application Download Job Posting