Senior Account Clerk
Job Title: Senior Account Clerk
Salary range: 19.99
Department: Department of Social Services
Employment Type: Full-time
SENIOR ACCOUNT CLERK
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The work involves responsibility for the independent performance of moderately difficult financial accounts and records maintenance. The work may require decision making as to methods to be used and classification of records and accounts. The incumbent is responsible for entering and retrieving information using computer database/spreadsheet software. The work is performed under general supervision. The incumbent may train lower level clerical workers. Supervision may be exercised over the work of account keeping and clerical workers. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Reviews a variety of complex financial documents, classifies them and distributes items into a variety of accounts according to prescribed procedures and policies;
- Posts figures to appropriate accounts, makes all necessary adjustments in balances and verifies and reconciles balances; renews status of accounts as adjustments are made and takes appropriate action such as authorizing payment, issuing checks or preparing bills;
- Tracks, audits and monitors a variety of accounts;
- Verifies adjustments are made to correct allocations and issues reports as required;
- Prepares complex financial or statistical summary reports;
- Checks for accuracy of computations and completeness or supervises the preparation of daily, weekly and monthly reports which are compiled into summary reports or claims for County, State or Federal reimbursement;
- Prepares in final format, accounting and financial statements, payrolls, statistical tabulations and data, form letters, memoranda, vouchers, reports, requisitions or data from various equipment as the source material;
- Prepares funds for deposit into bank accounts, reconciles accounts and prepares reports from information;
- Issues receipts for monies received;
- Contacts clients, vendors or other agencies to obtain additional information;
- Provides information orally or in writing in response to inquiries on status of accounts;
- Processes, sorts, indexes, records and files a variety of control records and reports, or supervises the process;
- Performs complex payroll transactions or may prepare payroll for entire department and prepare all related reports;
- Operates calculator, peripheral computer equipment and other office equipment;
- May assist in preparation of figures and reports for use in budget preparation.
- May supervise employees by assigning and reviewing completed work and instructing new employees in specialized account keeping activities.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of modern methods used in keeping and checking financial accounts and records, including computer financial software; good knowledge of modern office technology, procedures, equipment and business English; ability to make complex arithmetic computations involving fractions, decimals and percentage accurately; ability to operate a personal computer and use common office software programs including spreadsheets and databases; ability to organize and maintain accurate records and files; ability to analyze and organize data and prepare records and reports; ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of account keeping and clerical workers; ability to understand and interpret complex oral instructions and/or written directions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to perform close, detail work involving considerable visual effort and concentration; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an associate’s degree in accounting, business management, or business administration; or
- Graduation from high school and two years of experience in maintaining financial accounts and records; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Civil Service Exam required for permanent appointment and will be filled in accordance with Civil Service Rules and Regulation.Download Application
Download Job Posting